Every pound counts when you travel nowadays. Trying to save weight can be tricky, but the thing everyone try’s out is Vacuum Storage Bags. When you pack with these storage bags, you can see the bag getting smaller and smaller as you suck out the air.
Since the bags are shrinking you may wonder – will these vacuum storage bags reduce the weight so you meet the weight limit for the airplane?
Vacuum storage bags will not reduce any weight – but instead will make things heavier.
Why Is It Heavier
Just because the bags look like they’re shrinking does not mean they’re losing weight. Well, actually when you remove the air it does become lighter, but it’s not noticeable because you still have the weight of the bag itself.
Many people forget to factor in the weight of the actual bag, and the little bit of air you remove doesn’t come close to counteracting the weight of the bag.
Using vacuum storage bags in your luggage will make your luggage heavier. If weight is a concern, then you would be better off not using them. Before you get rid of the bags let’s talk about some of the perks of using them.
The Perks Of The Bags
Even though the vacuum bags will add a little bit of weight, they do have some perks for using them. For one they make everything fit better so you can fit more in the luggage. No more having to stuff everything in.
Another perk is that it keeps bugs, water, and other things away too. This is nice when at the beach and you don’t want sand to get to places you don’t want it.
They also allow you to organize clothing so that you can keep dress shirts and pants in their own bags.
How To Reduce Luggage Weight
If you need to lessen the weight of your luggage, there are some simple tips we have below.
The easiest way to reduce weight when traveling is to get lightweight luggage like this one here (Amazon Link Ad). The modern-day luggage is lighter than the older style luggage, and that can really help you the most. If your luggage is over five years old, I will look at getting some new lightweight luggage.
It’s smart to get a luggage scale like this one here (Amazon Link Ad), so you know exactly how much your luggage weighs before getting to the airport.
- Wear coats and other heavy objects on the plane.
- Avoid bringing Shampoo and other bottle items, and instead buy them when you get where you’re going.
- Ship items if you’re traveling in the US.
- Bring synthetic fiber clothing instead of wool, as synthetic fibers can be lighter.
- Only carry the essentials. Weigh each item beforehand to see if you can swap it out with something else you have that is lighter.
- Remove any stains on your luggage. Any stain, debris, or pen from your last travel could be weighing you down.
- Going with other people? See if you can store stuff in their luggage.
- Keep books at home and using your phone as an e-reader.
- You don’t need that many pairs of underwear. You can quickly clean underwear in the sink if you need to and dry it with the hotel hairdryer.
- Don’t bring clothing with metal accessories, or even plastic ones. These things weigh you down and can even break when traveling.